I’ve been actively looking for a home for me and my family to move into since December of 2012. We have truly outgrown this home in every way.
This home has some structural damage and deficits that would take a lot more money than what the home is worth in order to fix. Finding a home to accommodate my family in our current price range has not been an easy task. We are a family of five (5) and all of my boys’ are teenagers. A home with enough space for my family has been our biggest dilemma. Despite what the national media would have you to believe you cannot purchase a viable safe home in Detroit for one dollar ($1.00), believe me I’ve looked. There are however homes available to buy in Detroit listed well below the current market value.
Listed below are some online real estate sites that I use to help me in my search to find a home. I also use the Detroit News and Free Press Sunday Edition.
Because searching for a home has taken up so much of my time (Yes I’ve been neglecting my blog) I’ve decided to share with you each step I’ve taken. Each week I’ll be featuring the tools and information I’ve learned to assist me in buying our home.
Online Real-estate Sites:
Zillow– allows consumers (buyers) to be informed like realtors (almost).
I enjoy using Zillow because it gives me a comprehensive home profile.
The site also provides:
- virtual tours of neighborhoods
- schools located near the home
- current market value
- number of days a house has been on the market (Often times when a home has been on the market for several days there is a reason(s) why it hasn’t sold.)
- Fully functioning Android App
Trulia – available to assist buyers, renters and sellers.
- updates quicker
- provides similar information
- available to professionals (sellers, agents)
- suggests homes based upon your profile
- email alerts
- search features are cumbersome ( I have to input info several times to get an accurate result)
Realtor.com– assist in finding homes, realtors and mortgage lenders
- I use this site more than the others
- navigating this site is very easy
- updates on saved listings
- has the most comprehensive list of homes available in Detroit
- I have the App for this site on my phone and I use it several times a day
- featured (very expensive) homes are listed first on the website
I hope this information has helped or at least informed you in some way. I will continue to update you on my quest to find a new home. If you have any information you think would be helpful please share. I look forward to your comments.